i won i won i won!

10:20 AM by Kerri
Campus was sponsoring a free turkey essay contest! I never win essay contests, but I can't resisi them. I wrote about my favorite thanksgiving memory and WON a FREE 20 pound turkey! Now I can finally say that I have won an essay contest!
 


Here's what I wrote!

Despite my mother and aunts bustling around the kitchen all morning, turkey piled high along home-made mashed potatoes and fresh-out-of-the-oven rolls merely set the stage to Thanksgiving Day with my family. With our tummies full and nap time still an hour away, the tradition has always been to play a game. “Monopoly” my father suggested as he did every year. “Twister” my little cousin squealed as she thought of us all playing. “Speed” my uncle declared in his booming voice with the cards already in hand. The room erupted in chatter as we each claimed superiority and confidence in our abilities.

As we all gathered around the table, my father explained, “With a two player game like this, we’ll have to set up a tournament; it’s the only fair way to declare a winner.” With players ranging from eight years old to over-the-hill, we discussed how to fairly match up competition. Twenty minutes later, the first competitors sat down to duel. Game after game no one tired. When trash talking became a problem, my grandfather—to old to see the numbers on the cards—became the referee. After an hour of playing, we were finally down to the final four. The competition was heated as my uncle, little cousin, sister, and I tirelessly faced our final rounds. With the tournament coming to an end, everyone gathered around and decided the winner needed a title. “Grand Master Speed Champ, Ultimate Thanksgiving Day Game Master, and Fastest Flipper Ever” were all suggested. When the votes were tallied, “Ultimate Thanksgiving Day Game Master” was decided.

Now with a banner on the wall declaring the title of the winner, my uncle and sister sat down to play the final round. As my grandfather reviewed the rules and cleaned his glasses, we all hovered to see who would win. When my sister slammed her hands on the piles in front of her and yelled “speed!” we all started cheering! The tournament was over, my sister had won the title… and we all went back for seconds!

Comments (0)


Previous Posts
Archives
Links